You’re probably wondering, “How do I find my #1 category?”
The answer; lots of digging. You’ll need to dedicate possibly an entire day.
- Go to the kindle best-sellers In the bottom-left scrollbar, you’ll see all of the book genre categories. This is where the digging begins.
- Click on every category that your book could potentially be placed in, primarily for the sake of being ranked at #1.
- Grab a pen and notepad.
- Most categories have sub-categories. What you really want to find are sub-categories within the sub-categories. Dig as deep as you can.
- As you click on each genre/category you’ll be looking for the #1 book in that category and its rank.
- If the #1 book in the category is ranking higher than your book (higher rank=not as good as your rank VS. closer to #1=better), and you know that your rank is already better, snag it up!
Here’s an example of what you’ll want to pay attention to, for each #1 ranking book in each sub-category:
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #99,441 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Can your book out-rank the highlighted number above?
Example: if your book is ranking at 59,000 in the kindle store, you are out-ranking the above example. Write this category down in your list of possible categories.
On occasion, if you’re lucky you’ll find a category with zero books in it. If you happen to find one, snag it up and email kdp with the category format, asking them to place you into that category.
This is important because:
1) You will be GUARANTEED to rank at #1.
2) You will have ZERO competition!
- Instead of manually selecting a category from your KDP dashboard, you’ll want to hit the "help" button in the top right corner of the KDP website.
- Next, scroll to the bottom left, and click on the orange "contact us” button.
- Click the bubble that says "product page" and in the subject line put "category change".
- Write to KDP with your book title and ASIN#, asking to be placed in your category.
FOR YOUR SECOND CATEGORY (or your main category):
Do not worry about rank. Place your book in the best category pertaining to its genre. This way, you’ll have your #1 category, and your main genre-friendly category.
Here’s an example of the email you’ll want to send, once you decide on your category.
“Please place my book with ASIN# B0012345 in the following category:”